The deadline for the King William Charles Lunalilo Scholars Program is May 30, 2016. Please consider referring a student from your program. We will help them with the barriers they may face coming to college. This year we are looking for 75 – 100 scholars!
If you have referred a student in the past, thank you! If you are new to the Lunalilo Scholars Program, don’t hesitate to contact me if you need more information.
This is a unique program whose mission is to provide opportunities for transformative college experiences for students who have not considered higher education as a viable alternative because of financial or other barriers limiting college access. Previous scholars have ranged in age from 18 to 53 and came from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
Each scholar receives 100% tuition and fees, books, supplies and a UPass to attend Kapi’olani Community College for the 2016-2017 academic year. Through scholarship, community, and academic and personal support, the Lunalilo. Scholars build a solid foundation for success in the first year of college.
To learn more about this program, visit us at http://fye.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/lunalilo-scholars-2/ or http://www.uhfoundation.org/giving-opportunities/lunalilo-scholars
I have also attached an information sheet to this email.
Applicants can complete an online application or submit a paper application. Each applicant, must have a Referral, such as a coach, teacher, counselor, or advisor, that can attest to the challenges the applicant faces that make coming to college difficult. YOU can be the referrer! Applicants do NOT have to be accepted to Kapiolani to apply for this program.
Paper applications and referral forms must be postmarked by May 30, 2016 to be considered. Online applications and referral forms can be submitted until 11:59pm on May 30, 2016. You can find them on our website: http://fye.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/lunalilo-scholars-2/
- O’ahu resident
- High school diploma or will complete a GED by August 2016
- State resident as determined by the University of Hawai’i System Application
- Enroll at Kapi’olani Community College (KCC) for the 2016-2017 academic year with a minimum of 9 credits per semester
- Be able to attend a mandatory orientation in June (TBA) and a mandatory Summer Bridge from August 1 – August 12, 2015 (8-4:30 daily)
- Be able to attend a mandatory Math Boot Camp (offered every two weeks in June and July 2015) if placing below MATH 100
- Must be able to demonstrate financial or other barriers limiting college access
- Preference given to Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, Filipino, and first-time college students
Please consider possible applicants that could benefit from this unique opportunity, even if they don’t meet all of the criteria listed above. Your referral is the most heavily weighted part of the selection process.